Sunday, January 17, 2010

How Can I Stop Biting The Skin Around My Nails?

i stopped biting my actual nails when i was around 7 or 8 years old, but when i got a little older, i got into the terrible of habit of biting the skin AROUND my nails, and now my fingers look horrible and disgusting, a lot of times i bite the skin to the point where it bleeds, and my fingers look really bad, especially my thumbs. it's a really bad nervous habit that i have (i equate it with smoking), and i wanna stop but i dont know how, since most of the time i do it unconsciously. how can i stop doing this to myself?How Can I Stop Biting The Skin Around My Nails?
It is a difficult thing to break a habit that we don't wish to keep around. I too bite my nails, and occasionaly the skin, but its never been a problem. I eventually just stopped doing it as much, but I also try to keep my nails trimmed- I don't really like long nails to begin with, and when I do have them, they sometimes become uneven, which temps me to bite- but again, its never really bothered me.





The first advice I can give, is keep your nails trimmed and clean, so that you won't be tempted to bite the nail part. Keep a set of clippers and a file around, so that if you break a nail, you can repair it quickly. Then, to prevent biting the skin, first off, keep your hands clean, and get them to heal nicely, by using some good hand cream that will promote healthy skin. To try to ward off biting, put some strong scented lotion or perfume on your hands, especially finger tips, that way when you go to bite, you may get an unpleasant taste.





Another thing I can suggest is chewing gum or sucking on a hard candy, which will give your mouth something to do. Just don't do it to the point of putting healthy teeth and gums at risk :P Or, if you really want to break the habit, even though it may look funny, put a bandaid on every finger tip, and leave it. That way, you won't bite, and hopefully it will break the habit.





Good luck!How Can I Stop Biting The Skin Around My Nails?
Since it's as extreme as it is, I'd reccommend you wear oven mits for the next three weeks, and as soon as you stop, get a surgeon and have an extreme manicure.
use lemon juice or lime juice. coating your fingers in it will probably stop you from biting your skin. make sure you have no cuts or bruises, however. citrus-like fruits sting.
i do the same thing!!! and everytime i bite it there is more stuff i can bite! its horrible! i cant stop!





sorry this is not an answer to your question hah
  • skin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment