Saturday, January 23, 2010

What Do I Do About My Lorikeet's Long Beak and Nails?

My rainbow lorikeet's nails and beak are getting a bit long and I'm concerned about what to do.





He has a cuttlefish bone but lorikeets are known for not taking to cuttlefish bone like other birds are. He hardly touches it. He also has one of those perches that are meant to keet his beak and nails trim and he stands on it a lot but never chews on it or anything.





Is a vet the only option? How dangerous is trimming a bird's beak, even if done by a vet?What Do I Do About My Lorikeet's Long Beak and Nails?
It's not dangerous at all. I just took 2 of my lories to the vet on Saturday and had their beaks, wings and nails trimmed. My vet is a Certified Avian Vet (a specialty requiring extra study and rigorous testing). He uses a dremel tool. Cutting with snips can cause bleeding but the tool does it gradually.


It's more dangerous to have your bird's nails overgrown. I personally know of a macaw who lost a toe when his overgrown nail got stuck on the cage bar and he fought himself free.


If the beak gets too long they can have problems eating.


My birds get their nails and wings done at least twice a year and their beaks once a year.What Do I Do About My Lorikeet's Long Beak and Nails?
The danger lies in trimming the nails and beak too short and causing bleeding. Take you Lori to the vet if you do not feel confident in doing this yourself. It's rather like trimming you own nails, if you cut too much, it does hurt like the dickens,and, considering the fruit a lori likes to eat, it may burn a bit as well.
My sis-in-lsw trims her own birds nails. so it's not dangerous but I suggest you take it to the vet. The bird could become very stressed if you try to do it if you are inexperienced
What kind of perch are you talking about? I've heard the sandpaper-type perches are not very good for them. The sandpaper scratches not only their nails, but the bottom of their feet, and if they swallow some, it doesn't go too well in their stomach. The best thing is just a natural branch. Depending on how tame your bird is, he might let you cut or file his nails individually (what I was told by my vet), but it's scary if he pulls his legs away, because you think you might cut through their little toes or something. You might need to restrain him with a towel or soemthing, like you would cutting his feathers (if you do that).
try actually cutting his own nail with clippers very lightly and for the beak theirs really nothing you can do about that but just go to the vet if you are scared of cutting his nails he might have a solution for his beak aswell
I had a lorikeet and whenever I took him in for his well-bird check the Vet did his beak and nails with a tool called a Dremel (rotary tool). I think this is a lot better than clippers and my bird was not stressed at all. I was going to buy a Dremel but never did - you have to find out the specific attachment the Vet uses, if you are comfortable learning to use the Dremel yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment