Wednesday, January 13, 2010

How do you cut a house rabbits nails?

Hiya, it is best to get someone to hold bunny for you whilst you attempt to clip his nails with special clippers that you can buy from a pet shop. If bunny has clear nails, you will see a blood vessel running through the middle of the nail. This is called the quick and you have to trim the nail just below the end of the red line, to avoid cutting the vessel.


Lots of vets will routinely clip claws for you free of charge if you are worried about doing it yourself.


Try phoning around your local surgeries to get the best deal!


Good luckHow do you cut a house rabbits nails?
If you have a Pet Supplies Plus store in your area, they have a nail trimmer that prevents you from cutting too much off. It is under $15 or try any large pet shop they might have it also.





When you trim, don't go more then 1/16-1/8 inch from the tip, if you go too far you will hit the vein and the nail will begin to bleed. If this should happen use some baking soda to get the blood to coagulate.





The way I do it, is my wife or one of the kids will hold the rabbit on its back (if it will let you) on a towel on a bed. The person holding it pets the rabbit to keep it calm. The other person clips the nails. When we are all done, we give our rabbits their favorite treat (ours like yogurt dips).How do you cut a house rabbits nails?
I hypnotize my rabbit so I can trim her nails with out her flailing around...I just lay her on her back on my lap, then slowly lower my knees so that her head is lower than the rest of her body. She gets all still and spacy. All I have to do is raise her head to wake her up when all the grooming is done.





This is usually a two person job, one person to hold it, the other to clip...Uh, just be sure to only trim the white or clear part of the nails, if you clip the dark part, that will make 'em bleed, it's not the end of the world, just get a clean tissue to blot it dry, and try to help your bunny relax so you can hypnotize it again to finish the job.
you can either take it to a professionals or else you can do it yourself with nail clippers. (any type: human, dog, little types)
You need special clippers.Then,take the rabbit clippers and clip only to the white part.Only clip the white part and no where else.Or they will bleed.
Some people use the bunny burrito method. You can read about it on http://www.rabbit.org I know they teach it some vet schools.
I don't know. Every time I try to do it, he scratches me a lot. I use nail clippers for dogs, but every time i try to do it he acts like I'm hurting him, so I'm going to take him to a small animal vet to get them clipped. I suggest you do the same and he can show you how.
I trained my rabbit early on in her life to enjoy being on her back (belly up) on my lap, she loooooved her belly rubs from momma! It was then that i trimmed her nails, and she wouldnt even mind. I would rock back and fourth while doing so. Never trim any part of the nail that is red, just get the sharp tips off so its more comfertable for her and you. I used regular nail clippers, as i do on all my pets that need trims! if your comfertable doing it yourself, make sure you are educated on clipping first!

No comments:

Post a Comment