Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Why do people say painting your nails black is bad or evil or whatever?

I don't get it, it doesn't made senseWhy do people say painting your nails black is bad or evil or whatever?
When I was a child in the south and forced to attend a strict christian church, the women were not allowed to show any part of their body in public except their hands and face, we were not even allowed to dance at school, all because somehow someone thought it was sinful to do so. About 13 years of age I went another way.Why do people say painting your nails black is bad or evil or whatever?
It's all in the symbolism one projects of themselves.


For example, in the town I lived in many years ago, there was a teenaged girl who used to paint her finger nails black, wore all black clothing, black make-up, dyed her hair black- the works.


She distinguished herself by the image she projected which was one of non-conformity and rebellion, on two seperate occasions. The first was when she caught her long black robe on fire while burning a bible out in a small section of woods at midnight during one of her bouts of anti-God mania bs, and another when she was charged with cruelty against animals for killing a black cat at during yet another of her mid-night outings in the woods.





She slit its throat with a sharp knife while sacrificing it to her ';witch guide';.





Gee- I can't imagine why such people are looked upon with such sore disfavor by the normal folks.
They are just being silly - painting your nails black just looks ugly on most people and it is very goth, so if you are not being goth, there is no point in it. It is not as ugly when people with very dark skin tones do it, but on most white people it just looks lame. If you do paint your nails, they should at least be in good condition and have a decent length to them. If they just look small and square, I would use a plain or neutral nail color.
because people judge based on appearance, they also stereotype... the most well known people who wear black fingernail polish consider themselves to be goth and are normally considered by others to be goth, the term goth has become associated with devil worship, satanism, paganism etc. which a lot of people fear, people fear these things because they don't understand them. people associate the term goth with these less appreciated religions and with negative behaviors because of famous people who have been known for it (ie Marlyn Manson) and because of tragedies that have been caused by people believed to be goth (ie Columbine) and this has caused people to fear goths and everything associated with them. you're right, it doesn't make much sense to generalize and stereotype people based on something as silly as fingernail polish, or even based on their total style, or their religion
I wasn't going to bother answering but once I saw so many here telling you that it must be Goth is plain ignorant. It's for anyone who likes it! I'm in my forties and I've painted my nails black for over twenty years! Not all the time, and typically I used the black as a background for floral designs.


I don't do it as often, mostly because the super long fancy art nails are a fashion don't right now, and for me at least I prefer blacks nails to be long. Short black nails just don't look a tidy.
Because it does not match their norms. Color is not moral nor does it have a sex.





As an aside, several cultures consider white to be very evil, while black is perfectly normal.
I don't know, but it seems to work quite well for me...


of course I have complete Victorian outfits to go with


it... I happen to like that sort of look... although my


boyfriend also likes the boots and the riding crop, LOL
People fear what they don't understand. And people will demonize things they personally don't like if they can get others to buy into the labeling.
when i get a pedicure, i paint my toes black and i get pink little hearts on them. i think it's cute. sometimes its tacky on people but when its done right, it can really be cute.
You'd better have mascara, eyeshadow, blush, and lipstick to match.
Those are suspicious people who live their lives in fear of something... God created everything and what he created is always good....
Because it looks ';Gothic'; and people associate Gothic with being evil.
Racism is still prominent in Western culture, that's all.
people think of demons and the devil and bad things





my mom thought the same thing but then she got used to the idea
Because it's not what people perceive to be normal.
Covers up the dirty nails.
It's ugly
Some people are just weird and judge looks not heart
because it is different and it scares them.
No its just ugly. How long is this goth thing going to last, by the way? Isn't it getting just a little old?
It's so..... Gothic.
its not evil just tacky :)
u doesnt made sense





next time dont type while painting your fingernails
I don't know.. because its not normal. I paint my toenails blacka ll the time!
My toe nails are black. I like it, it suits my style.

1 comment:

  1. There's nothing wrong with black nail polish, it's not "tacky". What's tacky is hating on others for expressing themselves

    ReplyDelete