Monday, December 28, 2009

How do I trim my kittens nails?

I just got a baby kitten (rescued her). And her nails are very sharp, Can anyone tell me how to trim her nails please. Do I have to do a certain length? Can I hurt her doing it? Can I file them?How do I trim my kittens nails?
Just use a regular human nail clipper; they fit in your hand easily and work well even on adult cats. Do just one or two nails at a sitting, with plenty of praise and petting, so your kitty doesn't get restless. Try trimming off JUST the sharp tip, rather than trying to get down close to the vein. The vein is like our ';quick'; and cutting into it will be painful, and may bleed. You need not file the nails, although you can.How do I trim my kittens nails?
I just trimmed my kittens nails the other day: got tired of the nice little scratches all over. Here's how you do it:





It is best to get a nail cutter made specially for animals; they're shaped better and usually come with medicine to rub on the nail just in case you cut too short.





You can file them but that takes a long time and trying to hold a kitten for that long is near impossible.





Cut JUST THE TIPS! Look at the claw and do you see some pink showing? That's flesh and it will hurt the kitten if you cut it that far back. Cut just the tips so that the claws are not sharp anymore. Have some medicine nearby just in case you do cut it too short: some are made specially to ease the pain and prevent infections.





Good luck!
Wait until your kitten falls asleep then start clipping. I always clip my cats claws while they're asleep and they rarely struggle!





Don't cut past the quick, that's the pink part of the nail. Yes you can hurt her if you cut the quick, it will start bleeding so be very careful. Just cut the tips, the clear part of the nail.





A pet nail clipper would be best. But if you don't have one you can use a human nail clipper but turn the clipper to the side so the claw doesn't split.





You can file them after clipping if you want but there's really no need to do it.





Hope this helps!
This is a trick endeavor, but one that can be mastered. I use a baby nail clippers and only cut off to the curve of the nail. Kittens tend to have very thin and pointy nails so it shouldn't take much effot. Do be careful to not cut too short or it will bleed and hurt the kitten.
Here is a good decription.





Trimming their claws is easy and if you start while they are young and do it often they won't even think it's a bother when they are older. One trick is not to push them to fast. If they seem restless, stop for a while (like 1/2 hour or so) and do some more later. Add teeth brushing to the same ';Sitting'; and call it their ';spa day'; :)
You can buy nail clippers at the pet store, and to tell how long you look at the vain in the nail and clip just a little over the vain.





If you need to ask anymore questions you should go to the vet the pet store or ask me.
Here's a link to an article that should answer your question...





http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/52095/how_to_properly_trim_your_cats_claws.html?cat=53

No comments:

Post a Comment